We were out to dinner with my in-laws last week and Paul was tossed between a shrimp, asparagus, pesto and pasta dish and a stuffed-sole dish. I told him pick the dish that he knew I would not be making. Smart man knew I meant the stuffed sole. His father laughed and said, “but when will she actually make the other dish?”
Silly man, of course I made the dish this week. It’s an easy dish to cook and one that is speedier because all of the ingredients are in my freezer. I make pesto and freeze it in ice cube trays for single use servings. (click here http://wp.me/p2O1nf-s for my go to pesto recipe) Frozen shrimp defrost in 10 minutes in cold water and cook in 3 minutes. Asparagus cooks in less than 7 minutes. And wheat or brown rice pasta also cook up in 10 minutes.
It’s much faster and healthier than takeout. It requires minimal energy, even if you use fresh asparagus. I added some shiitake mushrooms to my portion because I like the taste and texture of them.
Shrimp, Pesto & Asparagus Pasta
- 8 oz peeled shrimp (defrosted if using frozen)
- 1/2 bunch or bag of asparagus (about 24 spears), cut up into pieces
- 2 pesto cubes, defrosted
- 4 oz whole wheat or brown rice pasta
- 1 clove garlic, smashed or minced
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Boil pasta according to package instructions
- heat garlic in olive oil over medium heat
- add asparagus to olive oil and garlic, saute 5 minutes
- add in pesto, cook 1 minute
- add shrimp, cook until it starts to curve (3 minutes)
- drain pasta and top with shrimp, pesto, asparagus mixture
- top with cheese, if using, and fresh ground pepper. Garnish with a few basil leaves if you have them on hand.
makes 2 servings
Want more healthy recipes? Click here http://empoweredplate.com to sign up for my monthly newsletter. You’ll get tips on food, health and exercise; as well as the recipe of the month.